Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 8

Day 8 – What's your worst and best experience with non-Goths?

This is a difficult question because I haven't had the best experience overall with non Goths.

I'll get the worst over first...

I remember being at a 20th earlier in the year and a guy who was an old family friend who I have known all my life was there. He was studying in Sydney and hadn't seen me in years and when we were chatting he was like "Jen, what is with the Goth?"
Now, this question is relitively commom amongst strangers and aquaitences... but I would have hoped that someone who had been a close friend and who came from an understanding, caring family would, well, 'get' it by now. This guy in question is in his mid twenties and very much into the whole 'indie' thing, complete with iPhone and skinny leg jeans. Surely, one person from an alternative culture would be able to understand why someone else would be part of a separate alternative culture with out much confusion?


Now the best...

I think I'll say the overall, positive reaction to my dress sense, makeup and general spookiness at school. The difference between this year and previous years is that I am able to essentially wear what I like, clothing, footwear, makeup and hair- wise. I've written about this before, I believe. I have my own deamons to confront in regards to what I feel comfortable about wearing at school, but overall people have embraced it well enough to inspire me to continue doing it each and every day.

xxx Lilly

No comments:

Post a Comment