Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My life as a gamer

For any readers who don't know, yes I do play games. Probably, like most gamers, far more than is heathly for me, but it is something I've loved for about 15 years of my life.
If this was a social network similar to Facebook, then I'd place games way down on the list of things that are important to me after music, art, literature, history, film and possibilly philosophy. However, I consider this blog to be more honest and true than Facebook, so really games should be placed around third on my list.

My first love was Lenny's Music Toons, suprisingly a music based children's game made in 1993. So it is the same age as I am.

http://www.gameclassification.com/files/games/Lennys-Music-Toons.jpeg
This was one of the games, where you had to do a puzzle of a piece of music that ranged from beginner to advanced. (Beginner was things like Row, Row your boat, Advanced was things like Jingle Bells. The melodies are all very simple, but for a 5 year old who cannot sight read music at all, they do present a challenge.)
As each piece was placed correctly, part of the song completed so far would be played, allowing you to check.

The games that probably revolutionised my life would be the Kings Quest series by Roberta Williams.
Now, I'm not going to go into detail about all of these games, as that will take forever. Let's just say that they really do show the development of game graphics and sound over time.












So they're some of the intros to some of the games. Now, I'm also going to show you some really nerdy music thing. I prefer the DOS version because that's what I played in.



It's quite amusing to hear some of the musical cues there too.
I've tried to choose videos and pictures that don't give any plot lines away.

So basically I spent my life from age 5 to age 10 playing the Kings Quest games, all Old School Putt Putt and Fatty Bear games, Age of Empires II, Harry Potter games and other cool things I could find.

Nowadays I still use a DOS box to play all of the old games that I loved as a kid.I'm a complete sucker for nostalgia, so what did you expect. I rarely buy new released games, but I will buy Alice: Madness Returns.

Oh, and I am just going to show you one of the creepiest thing in any of the Kings Quest series. This character was SO FREAKIN SCARY as a little kid!!!!! HAHAHA The music is awesome, and this part of the game is set in Ooga Booga land!!!
Squeeeeeeeee!!!




Other games that have a considerable impact on me (in a good way, though I've never been really  scared or grossed out by a game) are Warlords Battlecry II, Fish Fillets, Laura Bow II, Zoombinis- Logical Journey, The Sims 2, Legacy of Kain- Defiance and Aladdin.

To show you how much I love you all, I'm going to provide you with some links to FREE not for profit fan remakes of some of the earlier Kings Quest games.

Kings Quest I
Kings Quest II
Kings Quest III

I encourage you all to try these games and if you like them then you should consider buying the originals by Sierra Online. I have played all of these any have finished the first two. Warning- The third game is, IMO, the hardest in the whole series and this remake is very hard too. My 12 year old brother finished it, but there were some puzzles that he needed to look up the solutions for.
There are rumours of more games being remade for VGA, but, naturally these things take time.

Has there been anything that you've ever been completely obsessed with all your life? Any game you still play from when you were a child?

xxx Lilly

5 comments:

  1. One name. Harry Potter. That is my one and only obsession. The books and movies not particularly the character as I was always a Draco kinda' gal'.

    Also, super hardcore gamer boy friend + Super hardcore gamer parents and family + super hardcore gamer best friends = death to someone whom has little love for games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was most definatly a Draco and Snape Girl. Hermione was always pretty cool. I loved HP, but after awhile, the games got lame. Books are better than the films. Yep, I'm one of those puritans! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pokemon!

    Pokemon is totally goth. I mean, the characters have no father. Lt. Surge goes on about war...you're the first generation in Japan to live without war. Not to mention, you know, Lavender Town.

    Also, I'm DYING to get my hands on Death; Missing Presumed Gone, the Discworld game. I am currently attempting to finish a game I did many times in my childhood - Super Mario World 2. That fuckin' star level, man. D<

    My favourite game, though, outside of pokemon? Okami.

    Finished it 18 times. Over 150 hours spent on that game. SIDE QUESTS YAY.

    Something I've been obsessed with since childhood? Hm. Paranormal studies. I used to read books that would creep me out now. =/ I fear for 7-year-old me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a huge gamer too, my inner nerd comes out and play all the time~~~lol, my current fav obsession is pokemon black...but my all time favorite game is the Diablo Franchise~~~

    i see that you are posting about giveaways, if you are interested im holding one too that include prizes from UD, Too Faced Lush, if you are feeling lucky come and sign up

    Jessy
    threenothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a pokemon fan I must admit. that's because the only thing by Nintendo that my family has ever owned is a Wii, so I haven't really grown up with it.

    And thanks for the note about the giveaway. =)
    I'll write up a post about it A.S.A.P

    xxx

    ReplyDelete