Saturday, November 27, 2010

Goths at Folk Festivals

This is a potentially irrelevant subject for some Goths because they wouldn't dream of going to a Folk Festival (There's an awful lot of tie-dye). There are some, however, who do occasionally embrace the happy hippies and folkies for a week or so. I've been to many in my life. Quite a  few of the festivals I've attended have been when I didn't really realise that I was a Goth (More on this later. XD Of course I wasn't a Goth when I was a child...) and I have seen others around. Arguably, a particular festival would have been one of my first encounters with a Goth (which is different to being exposed to the Goth subculture which happened many years before) and I believe that that is a rather notable event in a Goth's life.
So, how does a Goth survive at an event where there is a focus on merrymaking and folk music?
It's not particularly easy. The music performed is mainly Folk, but there is also other styles. It depends on the festival in question, but from my experience I have witnessed World, Country, Old Time, Blues, Roots, Jazz, Ska, Latin and some crossover.
In other words, nothing that would be considered Goth, unless you are lucky and there is some Dark Cabaret or similar. Luck is involved here. Not that that necessarily means that there will be no music that there would be no music that appeals to Goths. Not in the slightest. But it does mean that there may be some music that may be unusual or not to your tastes. Here, there are two basic options that you can chose from. One would be to sit through and listen to some music that your may not be enamored with entirely. Or you could enjoy other aspects of the festival culture. There are many other aspects of folk festivals that make them unique from other festivals. However, please remember that in this regard I can only report on personal experience and every festival is different.
In regard to attire I really must emphasise that there is absolutely no reason why you should abandon your spooky attire and switch to fisherman's pants and leather head bands. Actually, consider a festival as a chance to really dress up. You wont regret it. Also on this note, remember to consider the weather, and bring lots of clothes as washing is nearly impossible. Some festivals may also have a reaccuring theme each year, such a circus, cabaret or dancing. Learn as much as you can at the workshops and such available. It will be highly benificial overall.
In regard to general politeness, the folkies are not that different to other people, so just be yourself. However, use your discretion because there are some incredibly sleazy old men at folk festivals who are disgusting and have no sense of decorum. If there is some dress up party, please remember that you don't have to look sexy to have fun, and there may be some unwanted attention from old men who are desperate. I'm talking from experience here. When I was fifteen, I, quite literally, was asked for sex by strange men over the age of forty about five times... EW!!!!!!!!!


I sincerly hope that everyone enjoys their festival season and enjoys themselves!

xxx Lilly
Listening to the Prince Caspian movie with my mum and brother XD

No comments:

Post a Comment